School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Getting To Know: Toni Purvis-Brown

ToniPB

Toni Purvis-Brown

Job Title:  Associate Director for Student Engagement, MBA Programs.

Job Duties:  I plan events for MBA students, including multiple orientations and co-curricular activities throughout the year.  I am the adviser for MBA student clubs and organizations, and assist with their event planning and strategies for student engagement.  Lastly, I manage communication from the MBA programs office to students.

How long have you worked at GW:  Two years.  I began at the Elliott School, working in career development, and transitioned into this role about two months ago.

What’s best, so far, about working here:  I love having a direct impact on the student experience, as it is something I take very seriously.  I am also a student in the MBA program, so it helps to have a “realtime, live” view of the program.  I must confess – I love going to school and working in the same building.  My commute from work to class is an elevator ride.

What’s something your co-workers do not know about you:  I was homecoming queen at my high school, a cheerleader, and class president.

Where did you grow up:  I grew up in Houston, Texas.  I love Texas!  I’ll put to rest the rumors that we still want to be our own country, as that wouldn’t be very patriotic to say now that I live in the nation’s capital. Although I’ve moved to DC, I still have my southern roots; I still use “ya’ll,” and am a huge BBQ snob.

Family:  I have two older brothers, which makes me really spoiled as the baby and the only girl.  My parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles are the best in the world.  I got married a year ago, so now I have a larger family, for which I am very thankful.

Any hobbies?  Working full-time being a student doesn’t leave me much room for hobbies! Cleaning, maybe?  I enjoy reading, but I get enough of that with textbooks.

What do you enjoy doing on the weekend:  I enjoy spending time with my husband.  We love going to the movies, going to church, tutoring and mentoring, going to museums, and hanging out with family and friends.

Favorite vacation spots:  Anywhere tropical!  I also like visiting friends in New York, since it is right around the corner.  I am excited to travel the world in the next few years.

A favorite book:  The Bible.

A favorite movie:  Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

A favorite food:  Ice Cream.

E-mail:  tpurvis@gwu.edu

Phone:  202-994-5140

Posted by gwsb on July 2, 2013 | Filed under: Getting to Know,GWSB News.

No Comments »