School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Getting to Know: Monice Sanders

Monice Sanders

Monice Sanders

Job title:  F. David Fowler Career Center (FDFCC) senior career consultant.

Job duties:  I have the pleasure of coaching MBA students in defining their career goals, creating/fine-tuning their personal brands, creating strategies and action plans and embarking on career searches.  I mostly work with students focused on marketing, human resources/human capital/organizational development, and operations management types of careers.

How long have you worked at GW:  Nearly four years.

What’s best, so far, about working here:  I thoroughly enjoy the FDFCC team and love working with our wonderful and diverse group of students and sharing with them as they “drive” themselves on their career journeys; I think I am sometimes more delighted than they are when those “dream career” offers come.  Empowerment is an excellent concept and one of my favorite things to discuss.  I’m happy to be in a role where that is a key factor in the process.

What’s something your co-workers do not know about you:  Two college classmates, and best friends of mine, and I have established an endowed scholarship fund at our undergraduate alma mater, Spelman College.  We got our classmates and many other supporters to contribute and will be soon awarding our first scholarships from this fund. Mentoring goes along with this, and I try to seize and create opportunities to do that as well.

Where did you grow up:  I am a proud Army brat and was born in Alabama.  My parents, my sister and I lived in many places all over the world, including Germany, California, Arizona, Virginia and Maryland.

Family:   My husband, Bruce, and I have two children, Shannon and Chad.  I am very fortunate to have a close family, and I spend lots of time with my mom, niece and nephew, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins and other extended family. 

Any hobbies?   I love so many things, including family time, dancing, music, reading and all art forms.

What do you enjoy doing on the weekend:  I dance every chance I get –it is my almost “out of control” hobby.  Right now, I am studying and enjoying West Coast swing and hand dance.  In addition, I enjoy time with family and friends, spiritual enrichment, including church and volunteering, and just having fun.  I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.   I’m also an avid reader and member of two books clubs; we started one of these before it became the “in” thing to do!

Favorite vacation spots:  Martha’s Vineyard and London, to name a few.

A favorite book:  The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson.

A favorite movie:  Too many to choose! For now, I’ll mention “The Great Debaters,” “Dream Girls,” “The Sound of Music” and “Ray.”

A favorite food:  Crab cakes.

E-mail: msanders@gwu.edu

Phone: 202-994-8352

Posted by gwsb on March 27, 2013 | Filed under: GWSB News.

No Comments »