School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Getting to Know: Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen

Job title:  Assistant Professor of Management

Job duties:  I teach about people in organizations in the undergraduate and MBA programs, including the course Organizational Behavior and Leadership.  At other schools, I’ve taught human resource management, organizational change, and strategy development.

How long have you worked at GW:  This is my second year.

What’s best, so far, about working here:  I love working with my colleagues in the Department of Management.  And I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my students, both undergraduate and MBAs, in the time I’ve been here.

What’s something your co-workers do not know about you:  I was a two-time varsity athlete in high school … if you count bowling as a sport!

Where did you grow up:  Syracuse, N.Y.  My parents still live in the house we moved into when I was 3-months-old.

Family:  I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, with my wife of 21 years, our 15-year-old son, 12-year-old daughter, and two crazy dogs.

Any hobbies?  All of us are avid snow skiers.  I’ve been on skis since I was 4 and put my kids on when they were 4 and 3, respectively.  Both my kids are downhill racers and my wife is likely to take it up this winter.  I was a ski instructor for about five years and am likely to take it up again.  We’re so into it that we go to Mt. Hood, Oregon, each summer to ski and train for a week with our race team.

What do you enjoy doing on the weekend:  Having teenagers and getting to ski practice and races, and other kid activities and sports, keeps us pretty busy.  We did enjoy the Train concert on Colonials weekend recently.

Favorite vacation spots:  North Carolina’s Outer Banks and Park City, Utah.

A favorite book:  When I’m not reading for work, I like biographies — often of U.S. presidents – and mysteries/thrillers.  I’m a big fan of James Lee Burke.

A favorite movie:  The Godfather series.

A favorite food:  Pasta – any shape, any sauce.

E-mail:  nacohen@gwu.edu

Phone:  703-403-4600

Posted by gwsb on November 20, 2012 | Filed under: Getting to Know,GWSB News.

No Comments »