School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

GWSB Undergraduate Is White House Sustainability Winner

Max Chen

Max Chen, a rising GWSB junior who is minoring in sustainability, was named one of five winners in the White House’s Youth Sustainability Challenge video competition on June 18.

Chen’s video, “Growth,” won the “Popular Choice” award and is one of five winning videos featured on the White House contest’s web site. Winners were also picked in the best overall video, best contribution to sustainability concepts, most innovative approach and best communication of sustainability categories.

“I love sustainability and always love a good challenge,” said Chen in an email. “I heard about it on Facebook and thought I’d give it a try since I have lots of spare time this summer when I’m not working.”

Chen – whose video received 691 on-line votes compared with 489 votes for the second choice – said he was surprised and pleased to find strangers promoting his video on Facebook.

“It was so humbling to know that I have that type of influence and that so many people – even people I have never met – are out there watching,” he said. Chen’s video was also screened at the Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development on June 20-22 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The Youth Sustainability Challenge is a competition in which U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents, ages 13 to 25, created videos explaining what they were doing to foster sustainability and create “an America built to last.”

Posted by gwsb on July 3, 2012 | Filed under: GWSB News.

No Comments »