School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Getting to Know: Tim Ryan

Job title:  Senior Secretary to the Dean.

Job duties:  My main job is to manage Dean Guthrie’s schedule.

How long have you worked at GW:  I started in August as a graduate assistant so I’ve been here about 9 months but, just a few weeks ago, I became a full-time staff member.

What’s best, so far, about working here:  I’m a student in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development studying Higher Education Administration.  It’s been very interesting to see the concepts and ideas we discuss in class come to life at work.

What’s something your co-workers do not know about you:  On my high school cross-country team, my nickname was “Rhino.”  I got it because I would bob my head up and down while running − like a charging rhinoceros.  My teammates would even point their finger upward from their nose like a rhino horn.

Where did you grow up: 

Tim Ryan

I’m from Chelmsford, Mass., about half an hour north of Boston and a few minutes from the New Hampshire border.  I do not have a Boston accent.

Family:  Most of my family is in Massachusetts, and my grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles have lived in my hometown for a very long time.  My older brother, Mike, is a CPA one town over.  I’m the only one down here in DC, but I hope that my relatives can come and visit soon.

Any hobbies?  I love to follow baseball.  Now that the season is in full swing, I check in on my Red Sox and the rest of the teams every day.

What do you enjoy doing on the weekend:  A lot of my friends from college live in DC or Northern Virginia, so I like to keep in touch with them and enjoy food and drink at our favorite Arlington spots.  (And on Thursdays, I’m part of a kickball team that plays on the National Mall; I play first base because I’m terrible at catching pop flies.)

Favorite vacation spots:  One of my favorite places in the world is the Lakes Region of New Hampshire − right in the middle of the state.  There’s fun stuff to do there in every season.

A favorite book:  Anything by Chuck Klosterman.  I’m currently reading Chad Harbach’s “The Art of Fielding,” which combines two of my favorite things:  baseball and a university.

A favorite movie:  I like “Empire Records” − a cult classic, mid-`90s teen movie − and the dystopian, post-apocalyptic “Children of Men.”

A favorite food:  Does Diet Coke count?  I’m a picky eater but you can’t go wrong with a nice pasta dish with a little fresh tomato sauce and meatballs or sausage.

E-mail:  timryan@gwu.edu

Phone:  202-994-7852

Posted by gwsb on May 1, 2012 | Filed under: Getting to Know,GWSB News.

No Comments »