School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Career Center and Alumnus Partner on Workshop

A seven-week workshop hosted by the School’s F. David Fowler Career Center offered juniors and seniors insight into making the transition from campus to workplace.

The program was developed and conducted by alumnus Dan Simons, BA, ’92, the co-founder of Vucurevich Simons Advisory Group and managing partner of Founding Farmers restaurant in Washington, D.C.

“I learned that being successful in business boils down to one thing: find ways to create value for others,” said senior Alix Montes. “As I pursue a career in marketing, I’ll be sure to use Dan’s lessons on listening and time management.”

Dan Simons

The workshop was designed to help students learn skills applicable to a changing business environment. Students also learned how Simons incorporated socially responsible practices into his business.

“From discussing relevant workplace issues such as gender, language and time management, to simply learning about what it means to be a better individual, this workshop has given me support,” said senior international business and economics major Maria Villaquiran.

In January, Simons received the first annual Distinguished Alumni Award from “Business Gives Back,” a student-led initiative at GWSB that celebrates business’ commitment to responsible management and social change.

“Years from now, I will be able to look back on this experience and realize I have incorporated numerous components of Dan’s lessons into my life,” said Allison L. Latham, a junior studying finance and international business.

Posted by gwsb on March 20, 2012 | Filed under: Career Center News,GWSB News.

No Comments »