School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Professor Robert Laycock Announces Retirement

Robert Laycock estimates that more than 5,000 students have come through his classes since he joined the GWSB faculty in 1984 as an adjunct professor with the Accounting Department.  His connection to the School goes back even farther than that:  he earned his BBA (’65) and MBA (’68) – both in accounting – at GW.

Laycock is retiring after this semester, capping a 27-year teaching career at GWSB (he also taught full-time at Montgomery College, retiring from the college six years ago).  In addition to his classroom duties, Laycock served as the Accounting Department’s assurance of learning coordinator, helping the department maintain its AACSB accreditation.  He also served as faculty advisor for the GW equestrian team (Laycock has been an avid rider since age six).

Laycock has witnessed considerable physical change in the campus and the neighborhood since he first came to GW as an undergraduate in 1961, but he said some things have not changed at all.  “The School has always had a very conscientious faculty,” he said, “and the students are just great.  They’re pretty much the same as when I was a student.  They’re friendly, eager to learn and know how to balance studying with having a good time.”  Laycock added that interacting with students is what he will most miss in retirement.

“My favorite memory of GW is the very first day I started teaching here,” Laycock said.  “I thought, this is like a dream come true, to be back teaching where I learned.  I attribute to GW the life that I made for myself.”

Laycock has a full schedule post-retirement from teaching.  He runs a small CPA practice, puts in time gardening and is active in a number of civic organizations (he serves as treasurer of both the Citizens Association of Georgetown and Trees for Georgetown).  He is also very much still involved with riding, as treasurer of the Washington Bridle Trails Association, which organizes three two-day horse shows a year.

Posted by gwsb on October 11, 2011 | Filed under: GWSB News.

No Comments »