School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Getting to Know: Anna Helm

Name: Anna Helm

Job title: Assistant Professor of International Business

Job duties: In addition to my teaching duties, I am also the co-coordinator of the business language wing of the GW-CIBER.

Time at GW: Almost five years.

Best part of working at GWSB: Coming from Sweden, and having traveled quite a bit, I really appreciate the international community here. And for me, that includes Americans! I especially appreciate the exchanges about the role of business in today’s global world and about our common mission to identify meaningful opportunities for GWSB students to become active and responsible participants in this world.

What co-workers do not know about me: Here are three factoids in chronological order:

• My grandfather traced our ancestry back to Carl Linnaeus, the famous 18th century botanist, etc.
  • I grew up with horses and was actively competing in Europe in the 1980s: My greatest accomplishment was winning the Swedish Academic Championships in dressage in 1988.
  • My current passion and pursuits outside of academia are with Sixten’s Foundation, a non-profit named after my oldest son and devoted to improving educational opportunities for children with Cerebral Palsy.

Family: My husband, Robert, is a symphony musician with the National Philharmonic at the Music Center at Strathmore. You’ll spot him at the Principal’s seat of the double bass section. Our three boys, Sixten, Gustav and Ludvig all love music. Both Gustav, our 1st grader, and Ludvig, our three-year-old, have their own double basses, albeit small!

Favorite things to do on the weekend: With three sons, I’m seldom bored. And I like it that way. Spending time with my family is by far my favorite thing to do on the weekend. But if it’s ever just me, I might venture out to the Bikram yoga studio.

Favorite vacation spots: You know what they say, “Home is where the heart is.” My favorite place to spend time is our summerhouse in the deep forests of southern Sweden. It’s literally in the middle of nowhere, and the silence is sometimes breathtaking. My boys love to spot moose and wild boar around our old farm.

Favorite book: I have to admit it, like most Swedes, I am addicted to detective stories, and, yes, I devoured Stieg Larsson’s trilogy when it was first published in Swedish a couple of years ago. With an academic background in German Literature, I tend to gravitate towards Germany’s Poetic Realism of the mid to late 1800s when I read something of more substance and texture.

Email: ahelm@gwu.edu

Phone: 202.994.8150

Posted by gwsb on September 22, 2010 | Filed under: Getting to Know.

No Comments »