School of Business

rss twitter LinkedIn Facebook YouTube Blogs

Student Wins First NSHMBA Scholarship

GWSB student Virginia Castro

Virginia Castro, MBA, ’12, has won the first scholarship from the National Society of Hispanic MBAs (NSHMBA). The GW School of Business is a member of NSHMBA’s University Partnership Program, which started in 2006 to help finance the education of Hispanic students in bachelor and master’s programs. The award provides approximately $10,780 toward her tuition.

“I never expected to receive this award, but I thought I would apply because I am passionate about building my community,” Castro said. “It was exciting to see that GWSB had partnered with NSHMBA to support diversity in graduate business education.”

After getting her undergraduate degree in public policy and political science from GW in 2006, Castro worked in New York City and got involved in organizations such as Tomorrow’s Business Leaders, Management Leadership for Tomorrow and Creating Opportunities for Raising Empowerment. She continues to promote the idea that diversity brings innovation and growth.

“To me, this NSHMBA award means that I am a part of a community of change makers,” Castro said. “I am honored to be recognized by such a prestigious organization and humbled to have the support of my peers to achieve excellence in business leadership and to empower others to follow suit.”

Posted by gwsb on September 3, 2010 | Filed under: GWSB News.

No Comments »